Rick

Halten Lighthouse

Halten Lighthouse
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Halten Lighthouse

  • Built in 1875 and automated in 2004. This Lighthouse was originally built at Lista. It was dismantled in 1874 and rebuilt here the following year.
  • Located on Reinsøya Island, in the Norwegian Sea about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Mausund. Accessible only by boat in heavy seas.
  •  Stands 97 feet (29.5 meters) tall and 128 feet (39 meters) above the high tide level.
  •  Own and protected by the Coastal Administration (Kystverket).
  •  The stone tower has a gallery and lantern. It is painted white with two narrow black horizontal bands, making it especially useful as a daymark.
  •  There are two 1-1/2 story keeper’s houses, a boathouse, and other station buildings.

Frøya

  • Frøya is the westernmost municipality in Sør-Trøndelag. It is composed of the island of Frøya plus several thousand other small islands.
  • Frøya municipality has five lighthouses, Halten being the oldest. Halten is a very old fishing village, mentioned in sources as early as 1548.
  • There’s a sundial carved into the rock at Husøya dating the the 1400s (as possibly earlier).
  • Halten is the northernmost part of the chain of lighthouses in the string of islands called Froan north of Frøya, starting with Sula Lighthouse in south, through Vingleia Lighthouse, Sleltringen, and Finnvær lighthouse and finally Halten lighthouse.


View Larger Map