Kvitholmen Lighthouse was established 1842, and automated in 1980. This light has been inactive since 1956 when an automated beacon was built close to the original.
- It stands 39 feet/12 meters tall and 82 feet/25 meters above the high tide level. Kvitholmen is located on a small island in Eide municipality about 1.5 km (1 mi) offshore and about 8 km (5 mi) west of Averøy. The island is protected as a bird sanctuary. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed.
- It is a round old-style stone tower with gallery. The lantern has been removed. Tower painted white. A 1-1/2 story wood keeper’s house, turbine house, boathouse, farm buildings, and other station buildings are all preserved at this station.
- Kvitholmens Venner (Friends of Kvitholmen) manage the station and its restoration; their web site has a fine collection of historic photos. And there is a page with historical information in English is available.
- A sea kayaker has a report of a visit, with many photos.
Kvitholmens Venner (Friends of Kvitholmen)
- The association’s purpose is to make Kvitholmen available to the public and to preserve it as cultural heritage.
- Email: email@example.com
- Rentals: click for details
- Some fixtures in the house:
Cold and hot water for washing, etc. Drinking water must be brought
Cooker – pots – frying pan, cutlery and cookware, waffle iron
6 quilts are available, bring your own linen or sleeping bag
Bathroom in the engine house which is close by. Simple conditions.
- In the boathouse:
Two grilled on charcoal
Tables and benches, space for 40 to 50
- Rental prices:
Adults (non-member) NOK250; Adults (member) NOK50; Children (0-12 years) Free
A little history
During construction of the lighthouse, approximately 100 men were employed, under the direction of Lieutenant Arntzen who later became Norway’s first Director of Lighthouses. The craftsmen came from far and wide: carpenters from Nordfjord, joiners from Kristiania, stonemasons and miners from Sunnmøre and smiths from Porsgrund. As was normal at the time with major civil engineering projects, it was common to put up field tents. Here the workers could trade what they did not get through their daily provisions, beverages, tobacco, etc.
Two lighthouses were deemed sufficient at the time, one lighthouse on Kvitholmen and one on Stavenes near Kristiansund. It was thought that more lighthouses than that would not be necessary. After all, any experienced seaman or onboard pilot would be capable of navigating through Fugleleia with the aid of two lighthouses! Today there are about 20 lighthouse beacons, light buoys and other seamarkers in these waters.
This massive lighthouse was built of granite hewn from the nearby quarry; 39,000 blocks were used in its construction. The rest of the construction was built as an enclosed courtyard that included a machine house, residence and outhouse.
Atlantic Ocean trail . Three municipalities and a number of players have joined forces to make Kvitholmen accessible to the public. The lighthouse is located on the Atlantic Ocean trail which has been granted the status of a national tourist trail.