Lepsøyrev Lighthouse, Haram
Lepsøyrev Lighthouse, Haram, Møre og Romsdale. The current lighthouse was built in 1879 and automated in 1956. It stands 39 feet (12 meters) tall, and 35.4 feet (10.8 meters) above the high tide level. It is located at the end of a 220 meter long jetty on a small island off the southeastern tip of Lepsøya and a short distance west of Skjelten on the Haram peninsula. Site open, tower closed.
Lightship to Lighthouse
- The Lighthouse Commission of 1851 was concerned about boat traffic in the strait between the mainland and Løvsøya.
- From the mainland across to Løvsøya there is a reef stretching out across the strait. Ships could only pass in a narrow and shallow channel, the rest of the reef stood as a gate for boat traffic.
- The present lighthouse replaced a lightship station which was established by that commission and built in 1856. That lightship struggled for stable mooring during storms all year round, and the hull received major injuries and was scrapped repeatedly.
- Over time, several increasingly bigger, heavier ships were used. The lightship had a lighthouse keeper, three men, and a boy. It was expensive to keep a lightship in operation and had a life span of only 8–10 years, so the suggestion arose to build a land-based lighthouse.
- Today, Lepøyrev is an active lighthouse; focal plane 35 feet (11 m ); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s. Octagonal cylindrical stone tower, painted white. There’s a lantern on a “shelf” on the seaward side, the lantern roof is red. The lighthouse marks a dangerous reef and a shallow strait. This lighthouse was repaired after being damaged by Allied bombing in 1944.
The Norwegian Coastal Authorities have undertaken to deepen a channel in the strait. By March 2011, a nearly two-mile long stretch was deepened to 11 meters—in some places it had been only 5 at low tide.