Nidaros Cathedral. Built over the burial site of Saint Olaf, the king of Norway in the 11th century, who became the patron saint of the nation. It is the traditional location for the consecration of the King of Norway.

Trondsheim's iconic Old Town Bridge.

Agdenes Lighthouse
. Established in 1804 and disused since 1984. Agdenes municipality has a page on this light. 
This is the oldest light station in the Trondheim area, but its light was blocked for certain directions of approach. To correct this problem, the lighthouse was replaced in 1984 by the Ringflua Light (seen at right) offshore. The old lighthouse was renovated in 2005-06. Located at the west entrance to the Trondheimfjord. Received guest for some time after the renovation, but that seems to be stopped for the time being.

Terningen Lighthouse.
The island municipality of Hitra has Terningen, established 1833. Terningen offers accommodatons for overnight stays. Hitra has a large and dense population of red deer.

Kjeungskjær Lighthouse. 
Orland has one of Norway’s most picturesque lighthouses, Kjeungskjær. Here too, visitors can book vacation time.

Finnvær Lighthouse.
 Eatablished 1912, inactive since 1985. Located on a small island in the Norwegian Sea about 27 km (16 mi) northeast of Mausund. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

Halten Lighthouse.
 Established 1875, is an especially beautiful tall lighthouse. Originally build at Lista in 1853. This was originally one of the twin lighthouses built at Lista, near Vestbygda in Vest-Agder county. It was dismantled in 1874 and rebuilt here the following year. Located on an island in the Norwegian Sea about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Mausund. Accessible only by boat in heavy seas. Site open, tower closed.

Sletringen Lighthouse
. Established 1899, still active. A true classic, Sletringen is the tallest lighthouse in all of Scandinavia. The tower is attached to a 2-story keeper's house. Located on a small island about 1.5 km (1 mi) west of Titran, the village at the western tip of Frøya. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

Vingleia Lighthouse 
Established 1921, inactive since 1985. Located on a small island in the Norwegian Sea about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of Mausund. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Vingleia Fyrs Venner. Vingleia can be rented for the day or for overnight stays.

Sula Lighthouse. Established 1909 (daybeacon established 1793). Active. It is located about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) west of Mausund and about 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) northwest of the island of Frøya. Accommodations are available in the keeper’s house.

Asenvågøy Lighthouse. 
Further north along the coast, in Bjung municipality is Asenvågøy LIghthouse, a beautiful complex standing on small Asen island. established 1921. Both the keeper’s house and the boathouse can be rented.

Kaura (Roan) Lighthouse
Established 1931. Active. Round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper's quarters, mounted on a round stone base. Lighthouse painted red with one narrow white horizontal band; stone base painted white. A concrete boathouse is connected to the lighthouse by a concrete bridge. This design is the closest thing in Norway to the "sparkplug" cast iron lighthouses of the U.S. Sibling of Kya Fyr. Located on a small skerry in the Norwegian Sea about 6 km (3.5 mi) northwest of Roan. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

Buholmråsa, Lighthouse. Established in 1917, stands on Sønnaholmen in Osen. It’s bold red column has a white stripe. 
Buholmråsa offers accomodations.

Kya Lighthouse 
In the Osen district – another lighthouse with the same name as the one off Frøya! Established 1920. Active. round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper's quarters, mounted on a round stone base. Entire lighthouse painted red. This is one of the most exposed lighthouses of the Norwegian coast, and despite its sturdy stone base it has suffered repeated storm damage over the years. Located on a tiny islet in the Norwegian Sea about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of Sandviksberget. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

 Rick

Lighthouses of the Fosen Region

Lighthouses of the Fosen Region
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Fosen is a traditional district in Trøndelag. Here you’ll find landscapes ranging from forested valleys, lakes, and coastal cliffs. The coastline at the Norwegian Sea is dotted by skerries and islands.

Fosen Region

  • In the past, Norway was divided into districts with deep historical roots and which only partially coincide with contemporary administrative units of counties and municipalities. Until the early Viking period, the late 700s C.E., many of these regions were independently ruled by local kings.
  • Fosen is one of these traditional districts in Trøndelag. Here you’ll find landscapes ranging from forested valleys, lakes, and coastal cliffs. The coastline at the Norwegian Sea is dotted by skerries and islands.
  • Evidence that people have been living in the area for thousands of years can be seen in the rock carvings in this part of central Norway. Eleven municipalities are included under the Fosen name: Agdenes, Åfjord, Bjugn, Frøya, Hemne, Hitra, Ørland, Osen, Rissa, Roan, and Snillfjord.
  • Trondheim, Norway’s third largest city, lies on the southern shore of the Trondheimsfjord. Founded in the 10th century, Trondheim—known at first as Kaupangen and later as Nidaros — was Norway’s capital of Viking Age through the beginning of the 13th century.
  • Transportation to the Fosen Region. 
Trondheim is a natural stepping off point for visiting the Fosen region. It’s international airport Værnes is connected to cities in Europe and is served within Norway by Widerøe. Hurtigruten, the Coastal Express ships, make stops at Trondheim daily on the route Bergen–Kirkenes. There are two two southbound train connections to Oslo, the Røros Line and Dovre Line. Fosen Region Lighthouses

 

Fosen Region Lighthouses

Agdenes Lighthouse

Established in 1804 and disused since 1984. Agdenes municipality has a page on this light. This is the oldest light station in the Trondheim area, but its light was blocked for certain directions of approach. To correct this problem, the lighthouse was replaced in 1984 by the Ringflua Light (seen at right) offshore. The old lighthouse was renovated in 2005-06. Located at the west entrance to the Trondheimfjord.

Terningen Lighthouse

The island municipality of Hitra is the site of  Terningen Lighthouse, established 1833. Terningen offers accommodatons for overnight stays. 
Hitra has a large and dense population of red deer.

Kjeungskjær Lighthouse

One of Norway’s most picturesque lighthouses is in Ørland, Kjeungskjær. Visitors can book vacation time.

Frøya

The westernmost municipality of Sør-Trondelag, Frøya, consists of the island of Frøya and several thousand other small islands has six major lighthouses:

Finnvær Lighthouse

Eatablished 1912, inactive since 1985. Finnvær is located on a small island in the Norwegian Sea about 27 km (16 mi) northeast of Mausund. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

Halten Lighthouse

Established 1875, Halten is an especially beautiful, tall lighthouse. Originally build at Lista in 1853. This was originally one of the twin lighthouses built at Lista, near Vestbygda in Vest-Agder county. It was dismantled in 1874 and rebuilt here the following year. Located on an island in the Norwegian Sea about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Mausund. Accessible only by boat in heavy seas. Site open, tower closed.

Sletringen Lighthouse

Established 1899, still active. A true classic, Sletringen is the tallest lighthouse in all of Scandinavia. The tower is attached to a 2-story keeper’s house. Located on a small island about 1.5 km (1 mi) west of Titran, the village at the western tip of Frøya. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

Kya Lighthouse

Established 1920 (station established 1906). Active. Square skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and enclosed watch room. Kya is painted white; lantern room painted red. Several 1-1/2 story cottages, part of a fishing camp; one may be a former keeper’s house. Located on a small island about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of the western tip of Frøya. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

Vingleia Lighthouse

Established 1921, inactive since 1985. Located on a small island in the Norwegian Sea about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of Mausund. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Vingleia Fyrs Venner.

 Vingleia can be rented for the day or for overnight stays.

Sula Lighthouse

Established 1909 (daybeacon established 1793). Active. It is located about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) west of Mausund and about 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) northwest of the island of Frøya. Accommodations are available in the keeper’s house.

Asenvågøy Lighthouse

Further north along the coast, in Bjung municipality is Asenvågøy Lighthouse, a beautiful complex standing on small Asen island. established 1921. Both the keeper’s house and the boathouse can be rented.

Kaura (Roan) Lighthouse

Established 1931. Active. Kaura has a round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper’s quarters, mounted on a round stone base. Lighthouse painted red with one narrow white horizontal band; stone base painted white. A concrete boathouse is connected to the lighthouse by a concrete bridge. This design is the closest thing in Norway to the “sparkplug” cast iron lighthouses of the U.S. Sibling of Kya Fyr. Located on a small skerry in the Norwegian Sea about 6 km (3.5 mi) northwest of Roan. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

Buholmråsa Lighthouse

Buholmråsa, established in 1917, stands on Sønnaholmen in Osen. It’s bold red column has a white stripe. 
Buholmråsa offers accomodations.

Kya Lighthouse

In the Osen district another lighthouse with the same name as the one off Frøya! Established 1920. Active. round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper’s quarters, mounted on a round stone base. Entire lighthouse painted red. This is one of the most exposed lighthouses of the Norwegian coast, and despite its sturdy stone base it has suffered repeated storm damage over the years. Located on a tiny islet in the Norwegian Sea about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of Sandviksberget. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

 

You must be logged in to post a comment Login