New life for Flatøy Lighthouse
Flatøy Lighthouse stands on the west end of Store Flatøya, a small island on the southeast side of the Vestfjord about 8 km (5 mi) west of Steigen in Nordland. The lighthouse was established in 1882 and automated in 1966. It stands 42.6 feet (13 meters) tall, 154 feet (47 meters) above high tide mark.
In 2005, Steigen municipality undertook the management of lighthouse, and in 2006 the Directorate for Nature Management gave the municipality NOK1.3 million for the operation and maintenance of the lighthouse. The money has and is being used be by the newly founded association Venner av Flatøy fyr (Friends of Flatøy Lighthouse). The group’s plan included restoring the lighthouse – now largely done – and making it available to the public.
Flatøy Lighthouse is in a great area for sea-based outdoor recreation and outdoor teaching related to the marine environment. The station is protected under the Heritage Act. Store Flatøy is hilly, but with some flatter sections. There is typical heath heath vegetation, and the area supports both otters and nesting eagles. Some years have bumper crops cloudberry—which Norwegians love.
Venner av Flatøy fyr (Friends of Flatøy Lighthouse)
- Flatøy lighthouse is refurbished and adapted for overnight stays. Flatøy’s website has information about booking.
- The group has installed a pontoon to facilitate landing access to the island. The use of the island is expected to increase. Friends of Flatøy Lighthouse put in lots of time restoring the lighthouse. See a video.
- Venner av Flatøy fyr was formally inaugurated on Heritage Day, 12 September 2010, after significant work was carried out partly by a tremendous volunteer effort and the lighthouse is now ready for rental. It is possible to cook in the newly renovated kitchen and extra beds if you include bedding or sleeping bags. The barn can accommodate larger groups which would need to supply it’s own sleeping bags and bedding.
- Contact person: Greta V. Sollie
- Tel., +47 757 77932
- Tel., +47 952 77180
- E-post: email@example.com