Built in 1867 and automated in 1971, Ona Lighthouse (Norwegian: Ona fyr) stands 48.2 feet (14.7 meters) tall, and 131.2 feet (40 meters) above the high tide mark. It is located on the small island of Ona in the municipality of Sandøy in Møre og Romsdal county, Norway. The lighthouse is built on Onakalven, the highest cliff on the island overlooking the harbor and the few, clustered wooden houses on this small island. In addition to the lighthouse, the harbor has two other guiding lights for ships approaching the harbor.
This fishing village has a permanent population of about 30. This small island community has a small café, several places to stay, and two pottery workshops. A bridge connects Ona to the island of Husøya. On Husøya, we find a chapel with a graveyard and a long sandy beach. The two islands, Ona and Husøy, are known collectively as Ona.
Take the ferry from Hollingen, 12 miles (19 km) west of Molde, to Aukra. Drive 6 miles (10 km) to Småge and leave your car. There are four ferries daily to Ona.
- Ona Havstua is a beautiful, old trading site on Ona that consists of a five apartments with 11 high-standard rooms (22 beds). There is a wonderful restaurant which is open whenever there are guests. Ona Havstuer has inviting pages and a photo album with handsome pictures of the hotel and island on www.classicnorway.com. Click the “English” button at the bottom of the page.
- Ona Havstuer on Facebook
- Address: 6483 Ona
- Tel.: +47 71 020 50 00 Fax: +47 71 20 50 01
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Prices: Per night, from NOK 1,650 to NOK 1,800
Sea Safari to Ona
- 62°NORD offers several sea safaris to lighthouses, with exciting wave riding and stories of Norwegian lighthouse history. Experience the unique opportunity to see a whole range of the most inaccessible lighthouses in Norway from the sea. The safaris almost fly over the water from lighthouse to lighthouse (Six to ten, depending on the particular tour – 62° Nord offers a number of tours). 62° Nord can arrange lunch and/or dinner break along the way. Contact them for more information and with special requests.
- Price from NOK 13,500. 3 hours. Maximum 12 passengers
- 62° Nord has an Ålesund–Ona Evening Cruise which runs from June 25th to August 19, Thursdays and Sundays, weather permitting. This is the period of the Midnight Sun and so evening cruising does not mean cruising in the dark. Summer evenings are really special in Norway.
- Prices: Adults NOK 545
- Children (ages 2–13) NOK 270
- Children under 2 years old free of charge.
- Details and booking here
- Tel.: +47 70 11 44 30 or Mobile: +47 92 83 18 88
- Address: Skansekaia 6002 Ålesund
A Trip To Ona and Husøy – wonderful tour video, takes you to the island, through the community, to the lighthouse and shows the view from there!