Sandvikodden Lighthouse on Hisøy Island
Sanvikodden Lighthouse (also spelled Sandvigodden) is on the southeast tip of Hisøy Island at the mouth of the Gautlsund which leads to Arendal. It was built in 1844 and retired in 1934 when the adjacent tower was built. The original lighthouse is 35 feet (10.7 meters) tall and stands 55.7 feet (17 meters) above the high tide mark.
This original lighthouse is privately owned, but has protected status under the Heritage Act. There is a square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, joined to the gable end of a 2-1/2 story masonry keeper’s house. It is painted white, lantern dark red.
Already in the 1830s, shipowners sought to improve the approach conditions to Arendal. They collected money, and when the appropriation for the two lighthouses at Torungen was secured, suggested that money be used for a guiding lighthouse into the Galtesdund (sound) between the two islands leading to the city. Land had already been selected on an old coastal fort in southeast Hisøya, along the Galtesund. In May 1844. funding was granted, and the same autumn, the lighthouse was lit along with the two at Torungen. In 1934, the original Sandvikodden lighthouse was abandoned and replaced by a second lighthouse. Since then, the building has been privately owned.
The second tower was built immediately in front of the first. Both the site and tower closed, although the lighthouse can easily be viewed from nearby. This light is currently used as a navigation aid.