Text and photos by Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
Traveling to Kråkenes Lighthouse at Stadt, is done best by car. However, you can also travel to Bergen by train or plane and then take the ferry or sail on a Hurtigruten ship from Bergen to Måløy. If you are in Bergen and are in a hurry, or want to take in a different view, you can travel by Bergen Helikopter.
This was my first trip to Kråkenes Lighthouse, and I wanted to cross the mountains by bus, because in September all the colors are changing. I wanted to experience that. A trip one way from Oslo to Måløy costs NOK650 (roughly $104, in 2014). There are different discounts available, but a certain ID is required. This bus ride cannot be ordered online. The ticket is bought on the bus.
- The only bus (for now) from Oslo is called Nordfjordekspressen and goes from Oslo to Måløy. It is an 11-hour bus-ride. This bus also makes a stop at Gardermoen Airport, so if you are arriving by plane, you can jump on the bus without going into Oslo first. It leaves Oslo three times a day, every day, seven days a week. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- After Gardermoen the landscape changes. Big farms, clouds and ponds mark a wonderful and fertile soil. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- The bus takes you along Mjøsa, the biggest lake in Norway. The soil here is rich and fertile, and the summers are warm, so farming is big here. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- The beauty of traveling by bus at this time of year is to see the change from summer to winter, from low land to high mountains, from forests to where the trees don’t grow. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- The last photo from the lower area. A farmer has prepared the field for the winter, the trees are turning yellow, the clouds are gathering. Any kind of weather is to be expected. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- With Otta behind us, we’re climbing the mountain little by little. Fresh snow is showing at the mountain peaks and I feel nature’s poetry just started singing. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- The trip today is blessed with sun and clouds. Some parts are just swimming in gold. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- No breeze leaves the lakes as mirrors, reflecting the scenery. It is nothing less than spectacular. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- At Lom, the falls runs by and the smell from Lom Bakery fills the air. I’m watching the river, looking at the trees dressed up for the last ball, and taking in the smell of fresh baked bread. Not bad. Not bad at all. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- Lom is kind of the last stop before hitting Stryn Mountains. Here, the red, yellow, and orange is almost burning the eyes. The green is nearly gone, the snow is here to stay for a good while. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- I find myself just staring out the window. No need for my music playlist. No need for anything. Just want to take in this wonderful view. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- Majestic. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- Before driving through the tunnels to get down to Stryn, the mountains are saying goodbye. The sun is on its way down, and here the shadows are blue. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- Parts of this road is closed during winter due to a lot of snow. It can be closed for one hour, or one week at the time. So checking the weather forecast here is what everyone does. If not, you might have a longer stay than planned during winter. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- These mountain reflections …. I just can’t get enough. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- Back in the days, villages like this would often be isolated due to bad weather. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- The bus trip from Oslo to Måløy takes 11 hours. And now the sun is starting to set. The light changes and a light fog is dancing in the fjord. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- The church of Nordfjordeid, one of the last main stops on the way. It is late, and the sun is going down. I am tired. I am still loving this bus trip. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- I am not alone on the bus. I was surprised by how many use this bus to get back and forth. Not only the whole distance, but from stop to stop along the route. I feel I’m getting closer to Måløy. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
- It is getting too dart to take more photos. But the moon came to say hi, sending some beams to light up the fjord, over the snowy mountain. After arriving at Måløy, I still have 20 kilometers before I am at the lighthouse. There is no bus going that way, so, either rent a car or go by taxi. Taxi cost about NOK500. ©2012 Sigrid Thorbjørnsen.
Search hotels and more...