Fulehuk Lighthouse gloriously restored
Fulehuk Lighthouse 59° 11′ N | 010° 36′ E
- Fulehuk stands on one the the outermost islets (in Nøtterøy municipality) in an archipelago jutting out southwest from Tonsberg
- Built in 1821 and automated in 1989
- Stands 49 feet (15 meters) tall, and 52.5 feet (16.3 meters) above the high tide level.
- There is a square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached by a 1-story connection to a 2-story masonry keeper’s house. The lighthouse is painted white, lantern red. Boathouse and other light station buildings.
- The name Fulehuk refers to the many small skerries in the area that represent a danger to boats sailng there: “ful” in Norwegian denotes something bad or difficult. And “huk” is the name of a special landcape formation by the sea.
- In 1841 a fog signal was added, the first fog signal in Norway. In 1955 the lighthouse was totally reconstructed.
- Fulehuk was manned by four men until closure. Two men on a shift at a time, two weeks off, two weeks on.
- In 2005 Fulehuk was sold to Nøtterøy. A year later, Fulehuks Venner (Fulehuk Friends) was established. In 2007 the lighthouse was opened and became accessible to the public.
- Today, Fulehuks Venner (Friends of Venner Lighthouse) has taken on the task of preserving this unique heritage.
- The lighthouse station has been beautifully restored and refurbished through the strenuous efforts of the “Foundation Fulehuk Lighthouse” and “Association Fulehuk Friends”.
- Fulehuks Venner maintains a wonderful Facebook page. As can be seen on that page, the renovation has resulted in stunningly beautiful and well-designed rooms.
Membership and Accommodations
- There are many interesting photos on the Forening Fulehuks Venner website. Click on “bildegalleri.”
- Membership: There are three categories of member:
- Fulehukvenn: NOK 250, – per year
- Lifelong membership: NOK 2500
- Corporate Membership. Individual appointments
- For information on becoming a member, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Booking: Email: email@example.com
- Contact Bolærnebåten AS, Røråsveien 85, 3114 Tønsberg, Tel.: +47 33 33 44 44 or Mobile: +47 90 97 11 19
Frøken Makeløs’s blog account of a stay at Fulehuk with great photos