Langøytangen Lighthouse (Norwegian: Langøytangen fyr) is a fully-automated coastal lighthouse situated on the island of Langøya in Langesund, part of Bamble municipality, Norway. It marks the southern point of the Langesund sound. There are accommodations available for overnight guests.
- The station was established in 1839 and automated in 1990. This lighthouse is 47.5 feet (14.5 meters) tall and 60.7 feet (18.5 meters) above the high tide level.
- The present structure was erected in 1876. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting once every 6 s. There is a square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery attached to one end of a 1-story keeper’s house. The lighthouse is painted white, the lantern and gallery red. A fog horn gives two blasts every 60 seconds. In addition to the 1-1/2-story keeper’s house, there are several other buildings.
- Langøya island is 1.5 mile (2.4 km) long and less than 1,000 feet (283 meters) at its widest point. The island is only 95 milies (153 km) from Denmark, and roughly midway between Denmark and Oslo which accounts for its importance for shipping. The island forms a natural breakwater for the harbor of Langesund.
- On Langøya there are great hiking trails, exotic flora and fauna, lovely beaches, excellent fishing from the rocks, and fine and safe play areas for children.
- Langøya is a conservation area and is owned by the local authority.
- If arriving by private boat, the best place to moor is right at the north end of Sundet (the Sound).
- Since 2011, there has been free boat service from Langesund to the island. Here is the boat schedule.
Langesund is the administrative center of the municipality of Bamble. In the early days, Langesund was one of the most important shipping towns in Norway. Langesund is one of the most celebrated summer towns in Norway because of the large number of sunny days. It is also well known for Wrightegaarden, a building that hosts outdoor concerts every weekend the whole summer.
- Accommodations are available at the lighthouse keeper’s residence. For more information, go to http://ut.no/hytte/langoeytangen
- Booking at the Lighthouse website
Tel.: +47 950 86 026
Check Rates in a pdf:
- Booking also through VisitGrenland website
Tel.: +47 35 90 55 20
MORE PHOTOS: Langøytangen Fyr Gallery on Flickr