Rivingen Lighthouse—it’s not Ryvingen!
Rivingen Lighthouse was established in 1886 and manned until 1925. It is in Grimstad municipality in Aust-Adger county, Norway
- Rivingen is approximately. 8 m (26 ft) tall, with a square cylindrical tower capped by a sharply pyramidal roof and a spire. This tower is attached to the front of a 1-1/2 story keeper’s house. The building is painted white, while the tower roof is a dark maroon. Today, the active light stands in front of the house, which is now a private summer residence.
- This lighthouse should not be confused with the much better known Ryvingen Lighthouse which is in Manal.
- Rivingen is located on a small island on the approach to Grimstad, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of the town and 1 km (0.6 mi) off the coast of the mainland. The site and tower are closed to the public.
- Grimstad is part of the geographical region called Sørlandet. It is a relatively small maritime town set among many small islands (Skjærgård). There is a harbor, a long pedestrian shopping street, a small market square, a church, and a museum dedicated to the early life of Henrik Ibsen. Early references to Grimstad harbor pop up in 16th material. An inn is recorded at Grimstad as early as 1607. In 1622, Grimstad became a recognized harbor. By 1747, Grimstad was identified as a sailing community and a recognized haunt of smugglers.
- Shipping has played a dominant role throughout Grimstad history, both as beach destination, seaport, and market town. And with shipping went trade and craftsmanship, not to mention an extensive amount of shipbuilding. In the period of the “white sails.” there were many shipyards in Grimstad district, and a number of sailing vessels were built here. It is therefore no coincidence that Grimstad’s coat of arms features a sailing ship in full sail.
- It is likewise unsurprising to find many types of navigation aids in the area—ranging from automated structures on skerries to traditional lighthouses. Following, a list of Grimstad area lights.
Spærholmen Located on a small island about 1.5 km (1 mi) offshore halfway between Arendal and Grimstad. 5 m (17 ft) round rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern painted white with a red roof.
Hesnessund Vestre (Hesnesøy) station established 1895. Lantern and gallery mounted on a stone base. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is red. Located on a small island off the south coast of the larger island of Valøy, about 3 km (1.8 mi) east of Grimstad.
Hesnesbregen Located on a skerry about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Grimstad. 14 m (46 ft) post light on a platform supported by four piles, all mounted on a stone base. Lighthouse painted black, except for a white equipment cabinet on the platform.
Leiholmsund Østre (Rear Range) Located on a skerry about 3 km (1.2 mi) southeast of Grimstad. station established 1893. Octagonal lantern and round gallery supported by two steel piles. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof painted red.
Galten 1931 (daybeacon built 1892). 8 m (26 ft) light mounted atop a round stone cairn. Cairn painted black. This is one of many similar stone cairns along the Norwegian coast; only a few have been lit. Located on a skerry about 3 km (2 mi) south of Grimstad. No photo available.
Vessøyhodet (Range Rear) Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white or red light occulting once every 6 s. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square wood (?) tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof painted red. Located on a promonotory at the entrance to Grimstad harbor.
Risholmen Date unknown. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); white flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) lantern and gallery mounted on a tripod. Lantern painted white with a red roof. Located a very short distance west of the Rivingen lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
Homborsund 1879. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); continuous white light with four brighter flashes every 60 s. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the gable end of a 1-1/2 story keeper’s house. 3rd order Fresnel lens in use. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. 1-1/2 story duplex assistant keeper’s house, boathouse, and other station buildings preserved. Sibling of the Lyngør lighthouse and built in the same year. Located on Store Gronningen, a small island about 1.5 km (1 mi) southeast of Jortveit. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.