Saltholmen Lighthouse in beautiful “Little” Lillesand
In Aust-Agder county, between Kristiansand and Arendal, the town of Liilesand is the departure point for Saltholmen Lighthouse. It is located on an islet a few miles off the coast from Lillesand. This islet was used early in the 19th century for the extraction of sea salt — hence the name which means Salt Island. Built in 1882, the lighthouse was manned until 1952 when it became automated.
Of course there are restaurants and some very nice stores in Lillesand, but it is a small and quiet little town. The government is intent on keeping it nice and local – meaning that you are not allowed to simply have a holiday house in the city, you must live there.
In the period July 1 – August 11, Saltholmen Lighthouse is open to visitors during the day as well as overnight guests. Lighthouse maintenance is based on the principles of the Tourist Association of Norway with self-catering cabins (you bring your sleeping bag, food, and beverages). There will always be a host/hostess present at the lighthouse. And, if you come by your own boat you can also spend the night on the breakwater and quays of the lighthouse .
Guests must arrange their own transportation.
- Boat transportation is available through Blindleia Charter.
Tel.: +47 95 93 58 55
Email: email@example.com Price depends on the size of the boat and number of passengers.
- Lillesand Marina and Information Bureau of the Red Cross
Tel: +47 37 26 17 50
- or Terje Ludvigsen
Tel: +47 90 80 18 86
- In the summer, there are ferries from Kristiansand. The trip takes about 3 hours and the scenery is beautiful. Read more here.
Accommodation charges per night
- Adults NOK 200
- Youths NOK 100
- Mooring up till 40 foot: NOK 50 per day. In excess of 40 foot, NOK 100 per day
- Renting the lighthouse
- Outside the above mentioned the period the lighthouse is to let, on weekdays, weekends. and by the week at the following prices:
- Friday – Saturday: NOK 2,300
- Saturday – Sunday: NOk2,800
- Friday – Sunday: NOK 4,100
- Weekly rate (Monday – Friday): NOK 1,500 per day
Tel.: +47 97 53 48 22
Lillesand Tourist Information
Rådhuset (Town Hall)
Harbour Street 10
+47 37 40 19 10
Tel.: Mid-June – Mid-August
Monday – Friday: 9 AM –6 PM
Saturday: 10 PM – 4 PM
Sunday: Noon – 4 PM