Songvår Lighthouse stands on tiny Hellersøy island, part of Søgne municipality in the Skagerrak off southern Norway. Oddly enough, the small island just north of Hellersøy is called Songvår, but the lighthouse is not there!
Songvår is an active lighthouse. Built in 1888 and automated in 1987. A new lighthouse was built in 1950 replacing the former, small wooden structure. And finally in 2004, a new automated tower was installed powered by solar panels in addition to the facility’s own generator.
Both shipping and fishing have long been, and still are, very important to this straight, the Skagerrak, which separates southern Norway from the Jutland Peninsula of Denmark. For this reason, there are a chain of lighthouses along the coast guiding ships away from shallow waters and skerries and into the many harbors. There have been many shipwrecks in the precarious waters between Ryvingen and Oksøy Lighthouses. Songvår was built in direct response to the the sinking of the whaling ship Vardøhus in 1887 with 46 people aboard.
Hellersøy has an abundant bird population and in 1981 became part of the Oksøy-Ryvingen Nature Preserve. Landing here is prohibited from mid-April to mid-July.
Fyrvenner (Lighthouse Friends)
The lighthouse is maintained by Fyrvenner (Lighthouse Friends). For membership and other inquiries:
- Email: email@example.com
- Membership fee for 2011 for individual members is NOK 250
- Contact Berit Larsen
- Tel.: +47 48 24 08 15 evenings
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rates per night
- January 1–June 22 and August 16–December 31. Adults: NOK 250. Children: NOK 150.
- June 23–August 15. Adults: NOK 200. Children: NOK 100
- Please pay the rent one month before the rental date to:
Songvaar Fyrs Venner
Postboks 1020, SØGNE
Bank account number: 3 09 01 27 34 60
- The Warehouse is furnished as a typical warehouse.There are two long tables seating about 30 people. There is a large grill available. Fishing is great here!
- The Main house sleeps eight people in three bed rooms, plus bedrooms in the attic. Dining room accommodates 8–10 people
- Oljebua (shed) is now converted into a nice little apartment. Small kitchen with stove and cooler. Hot and cold water and various necessities. Small living room with dining area. Open plan bedrooms. Three beds. Holds an additonal mattress as well.
- You must bring your own bed linens.
Getting to the Lighthouse
Taxi boat from Søgne, Høllen Bryggen. Tel.: +47 40 00 00 42. It is about a four-mile trip to the island.