Sula Lighthouse, Frøya
- Sula Lighthouse (Norwegian: Sula fyr) is a lighthouse on the island of Sula in the municipality of Frøya in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway. Built in 1909 and automated in 1974. A day beacon had been established here 1793.
- Sula is part of a series of lighthouses along the municipality of Frøya including the Finnvær, Vingleia, and Halten Lighthouses.
- Standing 13 m (43 ft) tall, Sula was built on the island’s highest point, Sula Haugen, 35 meters above sea level. Octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. Original 2nd order Fresnel lens in use.
- Keeper’s house, shop, boathouse and other light station buildings.
- The octagonal concrete tower is lit from July 21 until May 16 each year. It is not lit during the summer due to the midnight sun of the region. The flashing white light can be seen for up to 18 nautical miles
- This station is an important landfall light for the Trondheim area. In 2005 the light station was purchased by a foundation.
Sula is an island group in the municipality of Frøya in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway. It is located about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) west of Mausund and about 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) northwest of the island of Frøya.
The Sula lighthouse and Sula chapel are both located on the main island of Sula. The village area of Sula covers four islands, connected by bridges with ferry connections to Sistranda and Trondheim. Sula has over 70 year-round residents (2007), but has a significant population growth in the summer.
Accommodations in the Keeper’s House
- Accommodations in the keeper’s house are available. The lighthouse keepers house has been renovated in keeping with its historical style. It has wonderful views of Sula and the surrounding islands. It is divided into two apartments—the keeper’s and the assistant’s residences. These two are rented together or separately.
- The Sula Lighthouse Federation oversees rentals. The keeper’s house has 10 beds and The assistant’s house has 6 beds.
- Sula Gjestestue and Sula Lighthouse contact info
Mobile. + 47 904 03 146
Email: sula.fyr.booking @gmail.com